Reaching Out:
In the article “Create Meaning by
Helping Others” I realized that sometime we give too much of ourselves that we
forget about have “me” time. When we overwhelm ourselves with meeting the needs
of others before our own we tend to get hurt, taken advantage of, and sometime
feel unhappy. It is important to help others but remember to set time aside for
yourself. It is very easy to get caught up with taking care of others and letting
their problems or worries become our own because we care so much about that
person(s). I thought about the part in the article where a long distance couple
had broken up and it really hit me because my boyfriend and I are apart for
college. I often catch myself worrying too much about what could be going on in
his world of college or what he’s thinking and the last thing I ever want to
happen is for us to break up due to distance. Long distance can be a challenge because
it takes a lot of dedicated time and constant communication but the outcome is
definitely worth it; that’s why I continue to push through the conflicts to
make ends meet. But I always put the needs of our relationship and others
before my own needs which sometimes can be stressful. Sometimes you may have to
reevaluate the help you are giving others is it for selfish desires of accolades
or is it because you truly care for the individual(s). Be honest and keep open
communication when helping others so you do not feel compelled to always help
even when you honestly are busy. It’s okay to say no but you do not want to
make a habit of it.
In the reading of the article “Create
Meaning by Helping Others”, the question why serve is because we want to help
others rise above and achieve greatness. Serving is an act of giving time to
the needs of others. This contributes to my leadership because you lead others
by listening to their concerns and needs, then help by leading them in the
right direction by either giving advice or being their confidant. My feelings
towards service work with Family Matters is that we are being a great asset to
their community, it is so exciting to give back to the community and help
children with school as well as being a mentor.
Make a Difference:
After watching “Hide Your Schools,
Hide Your Homes, Hide Children, Cause He’s Wrecking It All” I am not sure
really how to relate to the “New Chicago” because I am not from Illinois.
However, with the government shutting down school I am not in the least bit
condoning closing down education facilities. Education is an asset to life and
without can be very difficult to survive in a world of today. I do honestly
believe that more money should be spent on improving and bettering the
education system rather than only focusing on achieving high test scores to get
more money from the government. I am assuming that building a “New Chicago”
will be more focused on the higher class needs. Which means the finances of the
city would take away from education. My service in my mentee’s life or time in
school will encourage him to push through challenges and keep your eye on the
prize by never giving up. I encourage my mentee to always finish tasks never
give 50% instead aim for 110% and stay focused. The value of education is worth
so much more than anyone can imagine it often times sets individuals apart from
others. It can be beneficial in several ways never a disadvantage to have an
education. Education should always be preserved and never destroyed, it should
always be improved to better society. Although, student of color tend to have
more struggles and difficulties with their studies than the average white
student because they are not accessible to services that improve educational
skills and understanding of school materials. We, as students of color, can
overcome this obstacle by seeking help from outside sources or looking for
organizations that want to see growth in students. We can all work together to
overcome these challenges.


No comments:
Post a Comment