"The greatest movement for social justice our country has ever known is the civil rights movement and it was totally rooted in a love ethic." This quote, by bell hooks, relates to my leadership because during the civil rights movement African Americans had to work twice as hard as a white man to get their voice heard, on behalf of their race to achieve equality and freedom. I feel that my leadership is not for me but for others to notice. Social justice is when an individual has a focused mindset on a specific issue and is determined to seek a change for the better. Therefore I do not seek accolades, or praises, for my leadership but I hope that my leadership leaves an impact on others. When I think of leadership I think to be selfless, serve others by reaching out to lend a helping hand whether that is in giving advice, leading from behind, mentoring or being a active listener. A leader is not one who dictates, but leads by example, cares for the needs of others, is not bias, has ambition, and always seeking self-improvement.
The Servant Leadership Workshop was interesting because majority of us, STARS Leaders, have common ideas of what it means to be a leader such as determination, organized, honest and etc. In regards to Servant Leadership Characteristics, I feel that I have Empathy, Listening, Building Community, Awareness, Foresight, Stewardship, and Persuasion, just to name a few. However, some characteristics that I plan to obtain are Healing, Conceptualization, Commitment to the Growth of People, and still work more on Awareness. I can practice Servant Leadership by continuing to develop people but also to share power with others who are working with me.
My dream job was to become a pediatrician. I have loved children all my life, when I was younger I used to pretend to be a doctor every time someone got hurt or was not feeling well, I also babysat relatives in middle and high school I have now altered it, just a bit, so that it will be manageable and enjoyable. I am planning to become a physician assistant and specialize in mainly pediatrics but also anesthesiology, obstetrics and gynecology, hospital medicine, and psychiatry. I would love to work with just adolescences in the medical field as well as starting my own mentoring program.

No comments:
Post a Comment